JAN 2017 UPDATE: applications now open for STFC-funded studentships. To apply follow instructions below or go directly to current studentships on offer (Ref. FNS GS 2017-01). Deadline is February 28.
We enrol new PhD students every year, usually in September.
are interested in being a PhD student in astrophysics at Keele, please
read about our research interests.
Possible PhD projects this year include (title, supervisors):
- Stellar Hydrodynamics, Evolution and Nucleosynthesis (Dr Raphael Hirschi)
- Galaxy populations behind the Magellanic Clouds (Dr Jacco van Loon)
- High-precision studies of eclipsing binary stars observed using space telescopes (Dr John Taylor (Southworth))
- Star formation in the Magellanic Clouds (Dr Joana Oliveira)
- The Dynamical Evolution of Massive Star Forming Regions (Dr Nick Wright, Prof Rob Jeffries)
- Laboratory astrophysics at the Diamond Light Source (Prof Aneurin Evans, Keele, and Dr Stephen Thompson, Diamond Light Source)
- Atmospheric properties of A, F and G stars (Dr Barry Smalley)
- Transiting extra-solar planets with WASP-South (Prof Coel Hellier, Dr John Southworth and Dr Pierre Maxted)
- Young stars and stellar moving groups in the Gaia-ESO survey (Prof Rob Jeffries, Dr Nick Wright)
The list of current funded studentships is available here: current studentships on offer (search for the research topic: Astrophysics).
Further information about the University can be found in the Applications section of the Postgraduate Research website.
Each year, we offer several PhD studentships funded by STFC (click here for more details about the STFC studentships). We usually advertise funded places in December-January with application deadline at the end of February and decisions are made in April-May. We might have funded places at various times throughout the year so it is best to contact us if you are interested in doing a PhD with us. We also welcome applications from self-funded students. You can apply for a place by following the "Apply for PhD" link on this webpage: http://www.keele.ac.uk/researchsubjects/astrophysics/ .
If you require any further information or would like to visit please contact Dr Raphael Hirschi for general enquiries or the member of staff you are interested in working with: Staff contact details.